Well, it’s that time of year again… the holiday season is upon us! While this is one of my favourite times of the year, there are always a few people on my list that prove difficult to find the ideal gift for.
Are you having trouble finding some last-minute items for those tricky people on your list? Well, I’ve gathered a few iron-related ideas for topping up your gifts or stuffing those stockings this year!
- Packaged mixed nuts – almonds, cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, etc.
- Tip: While chocolate covered almonds are an all-time favourite for some, the chocolate content can actually inhibit the iron content (almonds) from being properly absorbed
- Chestnuts are not only festive but also a good source of iron
- Tip: Roasting chestnuts eliminates phenylene, an iron absorption inhibitor!
- Iron supplements for your iron deficient friends!
- Dried fruits, especially apricots and raisins, and beef jerky which not only provide a yummy snack, but are also good sources of iron
- Cook book of healthy recipes – give your friends the gift of delicious recipes to try in 2015, with a special focus on iron-rich meals!
- Finally, depending on how big your feet are, perhaps there’s room in the stocking for a cast-iron frying pan
- Tip: Cooking with cast iron fortifies your food with iron!
Content and advice provided on The Iron Maiden is for information purposes only and should not serve as a substitute for a licensed health care provider, who is knowledgeable about an individual’s unique health care needs